PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Alfred Summerson
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1879 Post Office Directory
of the N & E Ridings
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON

INCLUDING THE TOWNSHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM, MELTONBY AND OUSTHORPE;

Pocklington is a parish, market and union town, head of a county court district, polling place for the Riding: and station on the Market Weighton branch (No. 1) of  the North Eastern railway, 195 miles from London, 16½ by rail, east from York, 6¼ north-west from Market Weighton, 27 northwest from Hull, 27 south-west from Bridlington, and 32 south-west from Scarborough, in the Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill. rural deanery of Pocklington, East Riding archdeaconry and York diocese.

The town is lighted with gas, from works constructed in 1834, and is watered by a considerable stream which rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.

The church of All Saints is a cruciform Gothic and Perpendicular structure, comprising a chancel, nave and allies, transepts (the north having an east aisle) and a handsome lofty well proportioned embattled and pinnacled tower at the west end, containing a peal of 5 good bells and clock : there are two chapels on the north side of the chancel and a porch on the south side of the nave; the windows have Pointed arches, and some of them are large, and embellished with trefoil and cinquefoil heads and tracery; the clerestory windows are likewise Pointed ; the east window is stained, representing the Birth, Baptism, Crucifixion, the Supper and Ascension of our Saviour; it was erected by Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe; there is also a beautiful memorial window, to the Loftus family, added by Mrs. Loftus: this church underwent a restoration about 1850, when it was re-pewed: the chancel, which is the most ancient portion of the edifice, has several finely carved stalls: the organ is a good toned one; the font is a square basin on a circular pedestal: there are several monuments to the Dolman and other families, and among them is an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman, esq.; there is another handsome mural monument to Robert Denison, esq. who died in 1829, and his wife who died in 1837. The Sotherby Cross is another very interesting monument; date circa 1350, it was discovered in the churchyard whilst digging a grave and is now erected at the west end of the church; a cast of this cross has been taken for the Crystal Palace: there is also a large carved oak monument in the chancel, to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, supposed to be carved by Albert Durer or one of his pupils: it represents the Crucifixion and contains a large number of figures. The register dates from the year 1559. The living was constituted a vicarage in 1252, and endowed with the small tithes of the parish, net income £300, in the gift of the Archbishop of York and held by the Rev. John Henry Wicksteed, M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford.

St. Mary's and St. Joseph's Catholic church in Union street, was opened in 1863; it consists of an apse and nave, which it is intended at some future time to be lengthened, and was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield of Sheffield : it has three stained windows and sittings for 120 persons; attached to the church is a residence for the priest) the Rev. G. Brunner. Close to the church is a school to hold more than 50 children: it is under government inspection and has an average attendance of 30 scholars taught by a mistress.

There is a Congregational chapel, with an endowment of £10 yearly.
There are chapels for Congregational, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists and a Catholic chapel.

The Free Grammar school of Pocklington was origionally connected with a guild in the parish church, called the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the blessed Virgin and St. Nicholas of Pocklington; the seal of guild is still, preserved, with the deeds and documents belonging to the school.  The guild in question was founded by John Dolman, LL.D., Archdeacon of Suffolk (one of a family who for centuries were lords of the manor Pocklington), in the seventh year of Henry VIII: and when subsequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were destroyed, the property originally left to the guild was by the exertions of the founder's family preserved for the school: the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, and lie, with the churchwardens, appointed the usher: the master and usher formed a corporation called the " Corporation of Master and Usher of Grammar school of Pocklington." The revenues of the school arise mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, and amount to about £1,000 a year in addition to this, the founder of the school left property situated in the East Riding and in Derbyshire (probably now worth from £500 to £600 a year), to the Master and Fellows of St. John's College, for the purpose Maintaining five scholars in that college; these scholarships have now, under the authority of the University Commissioners been commuted for four exhibitions of £40 year each at the same college, tenable for three years. A former master, the Rev. T. Shield, B.D., who found the income of the school in 1807 about £100 a year, succeeded, after long and expensive litigation, in setting aside the beneficial leases under which for many years the property of the school had been held, and raised its income to something approaching the present amount: he also, in 1818, commenced the rebuilding of the school and master's house, then in a dilapidated condition; but the work remained in a very incomplete state until the appointment of the late master, the Rev. F. J. Gruggen, M.A. in 1848; and the school buildings were considerably improved during, his tenure of office. In 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools and removed the patronage from St. John's College to a local governing body, of which Admiral the Hon. A. Duncombe is chairman. Under the management of the Rev. Charles Gilmour Wilkinson, M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge, the present head master, the school has considerably increased in numbers, and additional buildings have been added. The school forms a handsome ornament to the southern entrance of the town.

The National schools for 100 boys, 60 girls, and 100 infants, together with a house for the master, were erected in 1854 at a cost of (including the value of the site) upwards of £1,400: of this sum the Committee of Council paid £631, and the National Society contributed £60; the site was presented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners (lately holders of land in the parish), and Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, their lessee.

There is also a National Wesleyan school in Chapmangate.

The Cemetery, situated near the West Green, contains 2a. Or. 19p. was opened in 1857 and has two small buildings erected, one for the Church of England and the other for the Catholics and Dissenters.

The Odd Fellows' Hall, in Union street, was built in 1839, and is let for public meetings and lectures.

The trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine making, brick making, agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neighbourhood are several corn mills.

The market is held every Saturday, and is well supplied with provisions. There are four fairs held here annually for cattle - on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November; on the 9th of November is a statute for hiring servants.

About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the North Eastern Railway Company: the canal was cut pursuant to Act passed in 1814: it is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.

Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe is lord of the manor-and lay rector and principal landowner, and holds a court-leet, baron and copyhold court, annually.
Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousthorpe, containing altogether and area of 4.668 acres and in 1871 a population of 2,889. The township of Pocklington contains 2,520 acres; rateable-value, £10,965; and in 1871 a population of 2,622.
Parish Clerk, William Shaw.

Ousthorpe is a township of Pocklington, situate mile north-by-east from that place. It has some traces of a large moated mansion. The land is the property of Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe and John Singleton, esq. The area is 330 acres; rateable value, £651; and the population in 1871 was 29.

Yapham and Meltonby are two hamlets and townships, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel is a plain building, consisting of chancel and nave, with a bell turrret at the west end containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a chapelry united to the vicarage of Pocklington,. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the incloseure, in 1733, are expended by an arrangement of the Commissioners of Charities, in one quarter to the repairs of the chapel and one fourth to the poor and one half to the school; the present feoffees have, by care and attention, much increased the charity. The land belongs to various owners: 3s. 4d. per annum is paid out of the Kilnwick-Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 4s. per annum is also received out of a farm at Yapham, occupied by Henry Tindale and left by H. Barlow, esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The population of Yapham with Meltonby in 1871 was 238, and the joint acreage is 1,818; rateable value, £3,116.
Parish Clerk, Simon Fountain.
Letters received through Pocklington by foot post
Parochial School, Mrs. Mary Fountain, mistress

Official Establishments, Local Institutions, &c.

Post, Money Order & Telegraph Office, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & insurance Office, Dean's lane.   John Ashby, postmaster.    Letters arrive from York at 7.15 a.m.; dispatched at 6.7 p.m

County Magistrates

For the Wilton Beacon Petty Sessional Division:— -A. Darley, esq. chairman
William Henry R. Reid, esq
Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe
Rev. F.O.Morris
Right Hon. Lord Muncaster, M.P
Arthur Duncombe, esq
Rev Thomas J. Monson
Albert Darley, esq
Marmaduke D'Arcy Wyvill, esq
Clerk, John Holtby, esq. York
Petty Sessions are held at the Magistrates' room, Great George street, the first Saturday in every month
The following places are included in the Petty Sessional Divtsion:—
Allerthorpe, Barmby Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, High and Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby, Great and Little Givendale, Grimthorpe. Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss. Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe

Insurance Agents:-

Imperial Fire, R.J. Bulmer
London Assurance Corporation, Powell & Sargent, Regent street
Manchester Fire, J. Ashby, Stamp office, Market place
Scottish Provincial Fire & Life, Robert Cundall, East Riding bank
Sovereign Life, W. Whittaker & C. Nicholls, Sherbutt ho
Standard Life, R. P. Bulmer
Yorkshire Fire & Life, J. C. Lee, superintendent registrar

POCKLINGTON UNION.

Board day, every alternate Saturday

Pocklington union comprises the following places: Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton with Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, East Cottingworth, East Stamford Bridge, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Goodmanham, Great Givendales with Grimthorpe, Harswell, Hayton, High Catton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Low Catton, Market Weighton and Arras, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, North Cliff, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton and Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton  Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, South Cliff, Strothwaite, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe-le-Street, Walpington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe with Gowthorpe; population in 1871, 15,964. The Union Workhouse is situated on the road leading to Burnby: it is a brick building, and was erected in 1852, the land costing £360; the' building cost £1,608 and will hold 110 persons
Clerk, Richard Boulby Bell, solicitor, Pocklington

Assistant Overseer for Pocklington township, James McLaren
Relieving Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor, Mark Fowler
Medical Officers, C. E. B. Dawson, Pocklington, Pocklington No. 1 district; A. F. A. Fairweather, M.D. workhouse and Pocklington No. 2 district; T. J. Jefferson, M.D. Market Weigliton No. 1 district; A. Jackson, l.r.c.p. edin. Market Weighton No. 2 district; G. M. A. Rudkin, Sutton-upon-Derwent district; Frederick Wright, Bishop Wilton district
Superintendent Registrar, Jonathan Chapman Lee, Bridge district
Registrar of Marriages, John Ashby, Pocklington
Registrar of Births & Deaths, Mark Fowler, for Pocklington district; James F. Roantree, for Market Weighton district, and Robert Martin Butcher, for East Stamford Pocklington.

Workhouse, Edward Wormald Mann, master; Rev. J.H. Wicksteed, M.A. chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather, M.D. surgeon; Mrs. Grace Mann, matron

Rural Sanitary Authority.

Clerk, Richard Boulby Bell, solicitor, Pocklington
Medical Officers, A. F. A. Fairweather, m.d. Pocklington division;   Alfred Jackson,   l.r.c.p.   edin. Market Weighton division
Inspector of Nuisances, Saml. Botterill, for whole union

School Attendance Committee
.

Clerk, Richard Boulby Bell, Pocklington
S.A.C. Officer & Inquiry Officer, Mark Fowler

Assessment Committee

Clerk, Richard Boulby Bell

Public Establishments :—

County Court, Magistrates' Court, Great George street, Francis Alfred Bedwell, esq. judge; James Powell, registrar, John Thomas Sargent, deputy registrar; John Ashby, high bailiff. Court held every alternate month; office hours from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. in the Magistrates' Court, Great George street, and its jurisdiction extends to Aller-thorpe, Barmby-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Bnrnby, High and Low Catton, North and South Clifie, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick-Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ouse-thorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, East Storwood, Sutton-upon-Dersvent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham, and Youlthorpe
Burial Board, R. B. Bell, solicitor, clerk, Pocklington
Excise Office, Feathers hotel, Market place, D. Best, supervisor; Henry Bishop Smart, exciseman

Inland Revenue Office, Market place, Francis Fallowfield Curtis
Odd Fellows' Hall, Union street
Police Office, Great George st. Thos. Wood, superintendent

Public Officers :—

Coroner for the East Riding, John Prescod Wood, esq.
Inspector of Weights & Measures, Sml. Vokes, Market Pl
Inland Revenue, Henry Bishop Smart, Great George St.
Supervisor, D. Best, Selby
High Constable for Pocklington Division, John Holtby esq. York
Stamp Office, John Ashby, Dean's lane
Tax Collector, Richard Beal, Market place
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale, John Thomas Sargent
Steward of the Manor of Pocklington, William Phillips esq. York

Schools:—

Free Grammar, West green; head master, Rev. Charles Gilmour Wilkinson, M.A.; Herr Gustav Mella, French, german & drawing master; Messrs. Hicks & Son' Gray's Inn, London, solicitors
National, New street, James Edwin Ross, master; Mrs. Annie Ross, mistress ; Ellen Mary Bennett
Catholic (Infants), Miss Sarah Ann Ogle, mistress
Wesleyan (National), Chapmangate, John Horner, master
Newspaper, "The Pocklington Weekly News," (published sat.), George Stancer, publisher
Railway Station, West green, Thomas House, master

Carriers to :—
Bishop Wilton—Fugill & Harrison, from 'Three Horse Shoes,' Saturday
Bolton—John Jones, from ' New Red Lion,' Saturday:
Burnby—Wm.Dickinson, from ' Black Bull,' tues.&sat
Driffield & Huggate—Robert Burks, from ' Three Horse Shoes,' Saturday
Everingham—Thomas Young, from 'Buck' saturday
Fridaythorpe—Hutchen, from Black Bull,' Saturday;
Huggate—Lyth Rooks, from ' Black Swan,' Saturday
Kirby Underdale—George Kirby,from 'Three Horse Shoes,' Wednesday
Londesborough—Foster, from Feathers hotel, saturday
Market Weighton, Driffield & Goodmanham—Mrs. Hannah Jebson, from' Buck,' Saturday
Market Weighton—Mercer, from his house, Union st. wed. William Rowe, from ' Buck,' sat
Melbourne—Thomas Kidd, from ' New Red Lion,'sat
Millington—Thompson, 'Three Horse Shoes,' sat  
Nunburnholme—Robert Yates & Robert Johnson, Feathers hotel, sat
Seaton Ross—Abraham Chapman, Saturday
Thornton—Wm. Hesselwood,from' New Red Lion,'sat
Warter—John Jackson, from Feathers hotel, sat.; Puckering from 'Buck,' sat.; John Alexander from Waterloo hotel, sat.; Holmes, from ' Black Bull,' sat
York—Mercer, from his house, Union st. thurs. &sat
Yapham—Irvin, from Waterloo hotel, Saturday

Private  Residents.

Baylis Mrs. Avenue house
Beal Mrs. Grove terrace
Beal Mrs. Union street
Bell Richard Boulby, Chapmangate
Brunner Rev. Geo. [Catholic], Union st
Bulmer Mrs. Prospect grove
Coverdale John, Wilberforce House
Danson Chs. Edwd .Bowman, Chapmngt
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus, M.D. West green
Gordon Skene, M.B. West green
Hatfield Mrs. Chapmangate
Jackson Mrs. Ebenezer house
Kemp Mrs. Brass Castle hill
Peet Rev.Jas.[Wesleyan],Chapmangate
Powell James, Regent Street
Powell William, The Elms
Procter Charles, Chapmangate
Richardson John, River head
Robson William, Myrtle grove
Sargent John Thomas, Avenue house
Singleton John, Teresa cottage
Thomas Geo.Hy. Warren, Chapmangate
Thompson John, Prospect grove
Turner George, Great George street
Wicksteed Rev. John Hy .M.A. Vicarage
Wilkinson Rev. Charles Gilmour, M.A. Grammar school .
Wilkinson Miss, Great George street
Wilson Mrs. Market place
Woods Rev. Charles, B.A. [curate]
Wright Miss, The Groves

COMMERCIAL.

Abbey Henry, ironmonger, Market street
Anderson John, farmer, Woodhouse
Angus George, blacksmith, Dean's lane
Appleby Fred k.Chas.cooper.baskt.ma. & ironmngr.Market pl
Ashby John, ale & porter merchant, high bailiff to the county court & registrar of marriages
Askham Thomas, New Red Lion, New pavement
Askham William, chemist & druggist, & agent for W. & A.
Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants, Market place
Barlow George Edward, chemist, Market place
Beal Richard, butcher & farmer, Peter lane
Beckett & Co. East Riding bank (branch) (Robert Cundall, manager), draw on Glyn, Mills & Co. London
Bell Richard Boulby, solicitor, & clerk to board of guardians, Chapmangate
Bentley John Edward, butcher, Market place
Berriman Anthony, cattle dealer & farmer, St. Helen's gate
Bilbrough John, tailor, Regent street
Blanchard William, woolstapler & fellmonger
Boulton Isaac, saddler & harness maker, Market place
Bradley William, shopkeeper, London street
Brazendale Archibald, shoe maker, Market street
Bulmer Richard Porter, chemist & wine & spirit merchant
Buttle Charles, butcher, Chapmangate
Cains Henry, miller, Devonshire mill
Canal Co. (John Wilkinson, inspector)
Caris Ellen Matilda & Marianne (Misses) Ladies'schl. Chpmngt
Cattle Robert & Co. brewers, maltsters, hop & spirit merchants, Chapmangate
Clayton George, grocer, Union street,
Collins William, shopkeeper, Chapmangate
Conyers Francis, gun maker, Market street
Cook James, baker, Marketplace
Craddock Solomon, shoe maker, Regent street
Cundall Robert & Co. chemists, grocers, wine, spirit & beer merchants & manufacturers of bonemanures, Market street
Cundall Edward, Waterloo hotel
Cundell Thomas, farmer, Toft house
Curtis Francis Fallowfield, Feathers commercial hotel, posting house & inland revenue office, Market place
Danson Charles Edward Bowman, surgeon, Chapmangate
Dixon John, corn factor, Brunswick house
Dunning William, Three Horse Shoes
East Riding Bank (branch) (Robert Cundall, manager), Market street; draw on Glyn, Mills, Currie & Co. London
Easton John, saddler & harness maker, Market place
Easton William, blacksmith, Church lane
Edgar Thomas, hair dresser. Market place
English Jane (Mrs.), wine & spirit mercht. Brass Castle hill
English Richard M. corn, cake & manure mer.Chapmangate
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.D. physician.Westgrn
Faucett Thomas, seed & corn merchant, Union street
Forth William & Charles, printers, bookbinders, stationers, news agents & booksellers, Market place
Foster David Helm, agricultural implement manufacturer, Great George street
Foster Henry, hatter, Market place
Fowler Hugh, Old Red Lion, Regent street
Fowler Mark, registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Pocklington division, & relieving officer
Fowler Thomas, draper, Market place
Free Grammar School (Rev. Charles Gilmour Wilkinson M.A. head master), West green
Gamwell James, boot & shoe maker, Tute hill
Gas Inspectors' Office (Powell & Sargent, clerks)
Gibson Henry Clarke, tinman & brazier, Market street
Gibson Mark, farmer, Northfields
Gilson Thomas, watch maker, Market place
Gordon John, butcher, Clark lane
Gordon Skene, M.B.surgeon, West green
Gordon Thomas, Royal Oak inn, & butcher, Gt. George st
Grant George, joiner & builder, Brass Castle hill
Grant John Smith, upholsterer, Waterloo buildings
Grant Patrick, secondhand clothes dealer, Chapmangate
Grant Thomas, builder, brick maker & dealer in all kinds of building materials, Union street
Hagyard George, auctioneer &c. Prospect place
Hagyard John Thomas, grocer & draper, Market place
Hagyard Thomas, cabinet maker, Market place
Harrison George Seaife, boot &shoe maker, New Pavement
Harvey John, shopkeeper, Great George street
Hickson -Mary (Miss), Buck inn
Hodkinson James, tailor, New pavement
Holmes James, carrier, Chapmangate
Horsley John, boot & shoe maker, Market street
Hotham Edwin, shoe maker, Market place
House Arthur Withers, ironmonger, Market place
Ingram John, clothier, Union street
Jackson Augustus, farmer, Clayfield
Jackson John, farmer, The Grange
Jackson John, Star inn, Market place
Jameson William, tailor, Market street
Jennings John, draper, Market place
Johnson Francis, Black Swan, rope, twine & net maker
Johnson Jane (Mrs.), Railway tavern, Railway street
Judson Robert &. John, grocers & drapers, Market place
Judson Henry, cabinet maker, Market street
Kelsey George, wheelwright, London street
Kendall John, cabinet maker, Regent street
Laister Joseph, rope & twine maker, New street
Lamb John, painter & paper hanger, Railway street
Lamb Thomas Septimus, painter, Market street
Lamy Cecilia (Miss), ladies' school. Regent street
Lee Jonathan, grocer, Market place
Lister Joseph, earthenware dealer
Lister Thomas, Cross Keys, Market street
Lundy Joseph, watch maker, Market place
McLaren James, assistant overseer, West green
Manners Christopher & Sons, patent leather, rush & cart collar makers, New pavement
Mercer Robert, carrier. Union street
Moon Emery Cornelius, farmer & milIer, White mills West grn
Moor Henry, Wellington Oak, River head
Moor Joseph, farmer, Carr farm
Moor Thomas, Black Bull, Market place
Morgantroy William, shopkeeper, New pavement
Morrell Thomas, grocer, Market place
Nelson John George, shoe maker, Market Place
Nottingham John, brick maker
Ogram Harrison, bricklayer, Great George Street
Padgett Isabella (Mrs.), draper, Great George street
Padgett Ralph, seedsman Sec. Great George street
Patterson .Mrs. & the Misses, young ladies' boarding & day-school, Dewsbury house.  See advertisement
Peacock Thomas, baker, New street
Pocklington Gas Works (R. P. Bulmer, sec), London st
Pocklington Thoroton, brewer, maltster, wine & spirit & hop & corn mer. Waterloo brewery; & 11 Tanner row,York
Pocklington Weekly News (published every Saturday), (George Stancer, publisher)
Powell & Sargent, solicitors, Regent street
Read Jane (Mrs.), shopkeeper, Market place
Rennard James, Odd Fellows' Arms
Rhodes James, butcher, New pavement
Rhodes Richard, gardener & seedsman, New street
Richardson James, joiner, River head
Richardson John, bone mills & manure works, River head
Richardson John, shoe maker, Union street
Richardson John, stone mason, New street
Richardson Mary (Mrs.), butcher, Union street
Richardson Robert, tailor & draper, Union street
Rigg John, miller
Robson William Jackson, grocer, Market place
Rowntree Thomas, corn miller & farmer, Clock mill
Russell Richard, wood turner, Great George street
Sanderson John, seed k. corn factor, Percy road
Scaife Francis, house painter & paper hanger, Market street
Scaife George, brewer & maltster, New pavement
Scaife Ralph Johnson, auctioneer, Chapmangate
Scales John, fellmonger, Chapmangate
Seller Elizabeth (Mrs.), draper, Market street
Sellers & Son, carriage builders, joiners, builders & contractors, Union street
Sellers Thomas, wheelwright, London street
Shaw James, tailor, woollen draper & toy shop, Peter's sq
Shaw William, tailor, New pavement
Siddill Edward, farmer
Silbarn John & Henry, butchers, Market street
Silvester & Son, solicitors, East Riding bank
Skelton Richard, shopkeeper, London street
Skinn Henry, timber leader
Smart Henry Bishop, exciseman, Brunswick place
Smith Ann (Mrs.), butcher, Great George street
Smith Robert, market gardener, Tute hill
Smith Timothy, painter &c. Great George street
Smith William, draper, Market place
Smith William, market gardener, Tute hill
Spink Sarah (Mrs.), saddler & harness maker, Market place
Spink Thomas Greave, tinman, brazier &c. Market place
Stancer & Co. sack contractors, Waterloo buildings
Stancer George, printer, bookseller, stationer & bookbinder,
" Weekly News" office
Starker Starker, boot maker
Steel Joseph, provision dealer, Great George street
Steels Charles, grocer, Market place
Steels Margaret(Mrs.), currier & leather cutter, Chapmangate
Stephenson John Thomas, tailor
Stephenson Thomas Nelson, grocer, Market street
Stewart George, horse dealer, South Moor house
Stubbs John, wheelwright, New street
Swallow George, hair dresser, Market place
Swallow John, chimney sweeper, Market place
Swallow Richard, earthenware dealer, Market place
Tayleure & Son, photographers
Thomas Geo.Hnry.Warrer, m.r.c.s. surgeon, Chapmangate
Thomas Henry, farmer & butcher, Waterloo buildings
Thomas John, farmer, Red house
Tinson Elizabeth (Miss), milliner & straw bonnet maker, Great George street
Tinson Eliza (Mrs.), tailoress, Market place
Tinson William, bricklayer, New street
Todd Frederick, shopkeeper, Great George street.
Todd George, shopkeeper, Waterloo place
Turner James, shopkeeper, Market place
Turner John White, farmer, Mile farm
Turton John & Henry, horse dealers
Vause Richard Thomas, provision dealer, Chapmangate
Vincent John, farmer, Toft house
Vokes Samuel, ironmonger &c. Railway street
Watkinson John, ironfounder & machine maker, Regent st
Watt Richard, shoe maker, Market street
Webster George John, saddler, Market place
Weldon George, shopkeeper
White John, marine store dealer, Chapmangate
Wilson James, grocer, Chapmangate
Wilson Joseph, butcher, New pavement
Wilkinson Thomas, boot maker, London st
Winter Henry, cowkeeper, York terrace, Great George st
Wregitt William, butcher, Chapmangate
York Union Banking Company (branch) (Charles Clark, agent), Market place ; draw on Glyn & Co. London

Ousethorpe

Adams Robert, farmer
Cook Thomas, farmer
Illingworth George, farmer & miller

Yapham

Baynes William, Blacksmith
Clarkson John, farmer & Miller, Yapham Mills
Hatfield Thomas, farmer
Jebson James, Veterinary Surgeon
Kirby Thomas, farmer
Singleton Richard, farmer, Rowland Hill Farm
Stewart William, farmer
Tindale Henry, farmer
Towse John, farmer
Ward William, farmer

Meltonby

Dale William, farmer
English Thomas, farmer
Houslay John, farmer
Jaram John, farmer
Newbald Thomas, farmer
Smith Richard, farmer
Waits Sagar, farmer