PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Alfred Summerson
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
Dr. Thomas Wilson (1805-1878)
At the end of the nineteenth century, Pocklington's Library was founded in the memory of Dr. Wilson. He was evidently well thought of in the town and also a hospital was named after him, and public subscription paid for a new Pulpit carved in Oak to be fitted in the church in his memory. Pocklington had a Library between 1726-1750. In a reference quoted on Ancestry, it say that "Pocklington Publick Library" was subscribed to A New General Collection of Voyages and Travels ... in Europe, Asia, Africa and America (Vol. 1 & 2), 1745, GREEN, John. London. Subject: voyages, The following article was written by Andrew Sefton.

Dr. Thomas Wilson was the Pocklington doctor and Physician for over 40 years and was a noted antiquarian and local historian. He was present at the mGrimthorpe Sordost important digs by the famous Victorian Archaeologist J.R. Mortimer, who excavated many of the Wolds bronze age barrows. Mortimer called upon Dr. Wilson whenever he needed expert medical opinion when he discovered skeletal remains. Dr. Wilson excavated the famous Grimthorpe sword that is the fronticepiece of Mortimers's classic work "Forty Years researches in British and Saxon Burial mounds in East Yorkshire"

Pocklington had a thriving Philosophical and debating society which would meet and have lectures on all topics of art, literature and history, of which Dr. Wilson was a key member. He was born in Walkington, the son of Thomas and Elizabeth Wilson and was baptised in Walkington on the 2nd September 1805. In 1831 he graduated from Edinburgh University. In the 1841 census he was practicing medicine as the town’s doctor in the Oak House (the present Arts Centre) and lived there until his death On June 19th 1878 at the age of 72. Wilson Memorial Hospital

I have not found any evidence of a marriage or children. A new pulpit of oak was built for Pocklington church, richly carved by Messrs. Elwell, of Beverley, at the cost of 100 guineas, in his memory. A plaque on the pulpit reads "In memory of Thomas Wilson M.D., died 1879." The money was raised by public subscription, and the panels were designed by Mr. Temple Moore. The old pulpit was used by the church at Little Driffield and is still there today.

A building originally erected in 1880 for the purposes of a hospital, in memory of the late Thomas Wilson M.D. of Pocklington had six beds, closed soon after and became a private residence. The Wilson Memorial Reference Library was established with part of the funds collected to found the Wilson Memorial Hospital. A memorial plaque appears on a house in South Parade, the site of the Cottage Hospital.

Dr. Wilson was of the firm opinion that Pocklington was the site of the assembly of King Edwin in 627, after which followed the destruction of the Pagan Temple at Goodmanham and led to the establishment of Christianity in the Northern Kingdom. It is commonly stated that Aldby, Buttercrambe was where this took place. If true, and his arguments seem persuasive, makes Pocklington an important centre for early Christanity. See the Soteby Cross page for more information.