PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Alfred Summerson
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
Trade Directories of Allerthorpe
NB: This information on Allerthorpe & Waplington is sourced from actual directories.

Baines 1823 Directory

Allerthorpe, (P.) in the wap. of Hartill, and liberty of St. Peter's; 2 miles SW. of Pocklington. The church is a very small structure. Population with Waplington, 151.

Addison Rev. James, vicar of Thornton-cum-Allerthorpe, & perpetual curate of Barnby and Fangfoss.
Burton Robert, gentleman
Hart, John, gentleman
Ireland Wm. yeoman and surveyor of taxes and highways

Farmers:-

Foster Robert
Giles John
Jackson Thos.
Laverack Geo.
Shaw John, (and cattle dealer)
Siddall Charles
Simpson Joseph
Theaker Wm.

Cook James, shoemaker
Harrison Richard, vict. Plough
Whitaker John, schoolmaster
Winter Edward, wheelwright

WAPLINGTON, in the parish of Allerthorpe, & wap. Harthill; 2½ mls. SSW of Pocklington. Pop. 19.

Farmers:-
Crosby W & T.
Hord James
Hotham William

William White 1840 Directory

ALLERTHORPE is a pleasant village and township, 2 miles S.W. of Pocklington, containing 167 inhabitants and 1430 acres of land, partly in the liberty of St. Peter, and belonging to various owners; but the Dean of York is approprator, and his lessees are Lord Oxmantoun and Capt. Arthur Duncombe, who have estates here, and are joint lords of the manor of Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, in right of their wives, the daughters and co-heiresses of the late John Wilmer Field, Esq. The copyholds are mosly subject to small fines certain and a few of them to arbitrary fines. Nearly 500 acres form an open common. The Lodge, a neat mansion, with handsome pleasure grounds, is the seat of S.W. Swiney, Esq., but belongs to Miss Hall, of York. Allerthorpe is a parochial chapelry, which includes Waplington, and is considered as a member of Pocklington parish, though its Church, a small ancient structure, with a single belfry and two large bells, is a perpetual curacy, united with Thornton vicarage, in the patronage of the Dean of York, and incumbancy of the Rev. Chpr. Rawlins, B.A., who has a neat parsonage house in the village. The school is endowed with the interest of £200, left by J. Hart, Esq., in 1823, for the education of nine free scholars. At an early period, Wm. Westoby bequeathed 8a. 15p. of land to the poor of this chapelry, but subject to the yearly payments of 11s. 8d., to the poor of Pocklington and Barmby-on-the-Moor, and 6s. 7d., as a quit-rent to the lord of the manor. The land now lets for £14 a year. Two acres of land have, from time immemorial, belonged in equal moeties to the poor and the incumbent, and is now let for £4 a year. Two houses, divided into five dwellings, occupied rent-free by poor families, were given to the chapelry by Wm. Bell, in 1765. The poor have 3s. 6d. yearly from Wood's charity.

Directory:-
Jas. Cook, shoemaker
Thos. Hadfield, shoemaker
Chas. Jennings, schoolmaster
Rev. Chpr. Rawlins
Thos. Sampson, vict. Plough
Shapling Wm. Swiney Esq.
Edw. Winter, wheelwright
Rt. Sanderson
Thos. Stephenson, yeomen
Farmers:-
John Brown
Edwin Holmes
James Howe
Wm. Ireland
John Jackson
Joseph Simpson

Waplington township, 2½ miles S.W. of Pocklington, has only 18 inhabitants, and 620 acres of land, mostly in two farms, occupied by John Burkitt and John Harrison, and belonging to R. Denison, Esq., who has a brick and tile yard here.