PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> The Hull blitz
> Movers and Shakers
> Alfred Summerson
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Feb - Short Talks

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Mar - The Zeppelin Raids over   York

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
History of Allerthorpe
NB: This information is sourced from Bulmers 1892 directory.

ALLERTHORPE PARISH.

Wapentake of Harthill (Wilton Beacon Division) — County Council Electoral Division of Melbourne—Petty Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon—Poor Law Union and County Court District of Pocklington—Rural Deanery of Pocklington—Archdeaconry of the East Hiding—Diocese of York.

This parish, comprising the townships of Allerthorpe and Waplirigton, is bounded by the parishes of Pocklington, Barmby-on-the-Moor, and Thornton. The surface is flat, but well wooded ; the soil varies, in some places it is clayey, in others gravel and sand, with a subsoil of gravel. Wheat, barley, oats, turnips, potatoes, and seeds are the chief crops.
Allerthorpe township contains 1,578 acres of land, and is valued for rating purposes at £1,685. The population in 1891 was 139, a decrease of 11 since 1881. Colonel C. W. Duncombe, who is lord of the manor, and George Walker, Esq., Waplington, are the principal landowners.
The village of Allerthorpe (the Eller or Aldertree thorpe) is pleasantly situated one-and-a-half-miles south-west from Pocklington, whereat is the nearest railway station, and 13 miles south-east from York. The church, which is dedicated to St. Botolph, was rebuilt in 1876, on the site of an old one, by the late admiral, the Hon. A. Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy. It is a small edifice, of stone, con­sisting of chancel, nave, north porch, and a western belfry, containing two bells.
The registers date from the year 1620. The living is a chapelry annexed to Thornton, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Eev. John James Irwin, D.D., of Trinity College, Dublin. Allerthorpe Hall is the property and residence of Trevor Wheler Calverley-Eudston, Esq., J.P., D.L. About half-a-mile west of the village is Allerthorpe common, comprising about 500 acres.
WAPLINGTON is a township containing 813 acres, belonging to Colonel 0. W. Duncombe, who is also lord of the manor, and Geo. Walker, Esq. Its rateable value is £553, and the population 59, an increase of 37 since 1881.

Allerthorpe Township

Letters via York arrive at 8 a.m. and are despatched at 5-40 p.m. Nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office, Pocklington (one-and-a-half miles). Post Office at Mrs. Webster's.

Calverley-Rudstone Trevor Wheler, Esq., J.P., D.L. C.C., Allerthorpe hall
Hanson Rev. John Clarke, M.A. The vicarage
Hatfield mrs. Elizabeth, vict., Plough Inn
Hick Miss Charlotte, schoolmistress
Jackson Mr. Charles, Prospect place
Stonehouse Mr. John, Burkill's House

Farmers

Gospel William, Coloured cottage
Harrison John
Laverack George, George's cottage
Massey John
Sanderson Thomas William, Ivy house
Simpson Alfred, Manor house
Smithson Edward
Webster Mrs, Post office

Waplington Township

Bickersteth John Joseph, Esq., clerk of the peace for Beverley, Waplington manor
Day Fredk. Murray, farm bailiff, Waplington House Farm, Tank farm, and Low Farm
Walker George, Esq., Waplington