PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> Alfred Summerson
> Barmby Moor Walk
> Thomas Cooke
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  19th Oct - The Movers and Shakers   of the Pocklington Canal

> Pocklington Local History Group
  23rd Nov The Bombing of Hull in WW2

> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
History of Full Sutton
NB: This information is sourced from Bulmers 1892 directory.

FULL SUTTON PARISH.


Wapentake of Harthill (Wilton Beacon Division)—County Council Electoral Division of Bishop Wilton—Petty Sessional Division of Wilton Beacon—Poor Law Union, County Court District, and Rural Deanery of Pocklington—Archdeaconry of the East Riding—Diocese of York.
This parish, containing 881 acres, is circumscribed by Skirpenbeck, Youl-thorpe, Catton, and East Stamford Bridge. The surface is generally flat, and the soil rich and productive. The rateable value is £1,204, and the population in 1881 and 1891 was 127. Lord Leconfield is lord of the manor, but the land belongs chiefly to George Vere Braithwaite, Esq., of Edithweston, Butlandshire ; George Beal, Skirpenbeck; Thomas Coates, Esq., Full Sutton; Mrs. Fernsides, Harrogate; the exors. of Mrs. Cholmondley; T. N. E. Bardwell, Esq., Bolton Hall; John Fewster, Full Sutton; John Fawcett White, Full Sutton; and the rector, in right of the church.

The village of Full Sutton, anciently spelt Foule Sutton, is small but pleasantly situated round an open green, one mile south of the York and Bridlington road, and six miles north-by-west of Pocklington. The church of St. Mary, rebuilt in 1844-5, is a small stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch, and western bell turret, containing three bells, one of which dates from old Catholic times. The chancel contains a sedile, and the old piscina, found in the rectory garden, has been placed in the church by the present rector. The font is of Caen stone, and octagonal in shape. The east window is a stained glass memorial of Katharine Atkinson, who died on the 7th of March, 1873. The subject represented is the Crucifixion, with the Blessed Virgin and St. John in the side lights, and weeping angels above. There is another memorial window of two lights on the south side of the chancel, representing the Annunciation. The angel Gabriel appears in one light, saluting Mary, who is shown in the other light. On the scroll of the angel are the words of the salutation : Ave Maria gratia plena (Hail Mary, full of grace), and on the lower edge of the window is Mary's reply : Ecce Ancilla Domini fiat mihi secundum verbum tuum (Behold the handmaid of the Lord, be it done unto me according to Thy word). On a brass below is inscribed " A.M.D.G. In loving memory of Ramsey and Hannah Garwood, of Full Sutton. Equiescant in pace. Ascension Day, 1877." The handsome cross on the Communion table, jewelled with carbuncles and crystals, bears the same date, and was presented in memory of the Rev. G. S. Terry, M.A. The organ was given about 12 years ago by Thomas Coates, Esq., and the chalice by Mrs. D'Arcy Wyvil, of Denton Park, in 1878. There are tablets to the memory of John Ramsey, Esq., of Elvington, who died in 1801, and of the Rev. James Eudd, D.D., who was for 27 years rector of the parish, and died in 1827. The registers date from the year 1713. The living is a discharged rectory, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and of the net yearly value of £165, derived from 114 acres of land, for which the tithes were commuted at the inclosure. The patronage belonged for several centuries to the family of De Alta Ripa, whose name was subsequently variously written Dautry, Daltrie, and Dealtry. They were also lords of the manor and resided here, and in the 17th century three of them were rectors of the parish. In later times the patronage came into the possession of the Lords Feversham, from whom it was transferred, about ten years ago, to the Lord Chancellor. The present rector, the Rev. James South Davidson, M.A., Bishop Hatfield Hall, Durham, was presented in 1890.
The Wesleyans have a small chapel in the village, built in 1828. There is no school in the parish, the children attend that at Skirpenbeck, about one mile north of the village.
Charities.—John Cobb, in 1783, left a rent-charge of 8s., and William and Elizabeth Cobb, about the year 1809, left to the poor the interest of £112, now reduced to £106 under Mr. Goschen's conversion scheme. Mr. David Beal, of Full Sutton, who died in 1852, bequeathed to the churchwardens and overseers of the parish the sum of £60, the interest thereof to be distributed in bread every third Sunday to poor people attending the church. The poor also receive 2s. 6d. yearly from Wood's charity.

Post Office at John Woodhalls. Letters via Stamford Bridge and York, arrive at 8.30am and are despatched at 4-0 p.m. Nearest Telegraph an Money Order office at Stamford Bridge (two-and-a-half miles).
Coates Thomas, Esq., Full Sutton villa
Davison Rev. J. S., rector
Green Mr. Richard
Woodhall Robert, shoemaker and postman

Carriers.
Johnson Seth, to Pocklington (Waterloo Hotel) Saturday and alternate Tuesdays
Kendall William, to York (Five Lions, Walm-gate) Saturday
Stamford Bridge and York, arrive at 8-30 a.m., and telegraph and Money Order Office, Stamford Bridge

Farmers.
Beedham Henry
Clarke George, Street farm
Dales A. J.
Fewster John
Johnson Francis, Manor house
White John Fawcett