PocklingtonHistory.com Railway Street (Circa 1880)
News
> The Hull blitz
> Movers and Shakers
> Alfred Summerson
Events
> Pocklington Local History Group
  17th Jan - An update on the
  Burnby Lane Dig *Tickets Available*

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Feb - Short Talks

> Pocklington Local History Group
  22nd Mar - The Zeppelin Raids over   York

Gallery
Market Place Market Place
Note the new building in the photo on the corner.
Regent Street Regent Street
Note the 'Old Red Lion Hotel'
Chapmangate Chapmangate
Note the independent chapel built in 1807 to the left.
1925 Kelly's Directory
NB: This information is sourced from an actual directory.

POCKLINGTON

INCLUDING THE TOWN-SHIPS OF POCKLINGTON, YAPHAM AND MELTONBY AND OUSETHORPE.

POCKLINGTON is a market and union town, and the head of a county court district, with a station on the York and Market Weighton branch of the London and North Eastern railway, 198 miles from London, 16 by rail east from York, 6¼ north-west from Market Weighton, 37 north-west from Hull, 30 south-west from Bridlington and 32 south-west (54 by rail) from Scarborough, in the Howdenshire division of the Riding, Wilton Beacon division of the wapentake of Harthill, Wilton Beacon petty sessional division, rural deanery of Pocklington, archdeaconry of the East Biding and diocese of York.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members, in place of the former Local Board constituted under the Public Health Act, 1875, by Local Government Board Order
No. 29,872, dated July 1st, l893. On Oct. 1st 1901, by Local Government Board Order No. 42,567 part of Barmby-on-the-Moor was added to Pocklington township and Urban District.

The town is lighted with gas from works near the West Green, built in 1886, at a cost of £8,000, and the property of the Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited, and is supplied with water from works 1 mile east of the town, erected in 1890 by the Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited, but the main water supply is obtained from springs at Givendale, 3 miles distant; a considerable stream rises near Millington and Great Givendale, and in its course through the parish works several mills and empties itself into the river Derwent.
The church of All Saints is a cruciform building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, with north chapel, clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts and a lofty embattled western tower (restored in 1910), with pinnacles, containing a clock and 6 bells, but traces of the Norman church still exist: there are several stained windows: the east window was erected by the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe, of Kilnwick Percy; and there are memorial windows to members of the Loftus and Powell families: the font consists of a square basin of fossilized marble on a circular pedestal: there are several memorials to the Dolman and other families, including an elegant mural monument to Thomas Dolman esq. ob. 1589; another to Robert Southeby, ob. 1594: and a third to Robert Denison e sq. d. 1829, and his wife, d. 1837: at the west end of the church is a beautifully carved cross, C 1360, discovered in the churchyard : on the pedestal is a modern inscription in Latin, which translated reads: — “ Here Paulinas preached in the year 627:" in the chancel is a large monument to the Denison family, formerly lords of the manor, over which is a carving- in oak of " the Crucifixion" executed in Germany, about 1500; and well preserved : close to the foot of the pulpit is a stone to Margaret Easingwald, last prioress of the Benedictine nunnery of Wilberfoss : the church was partially restored and reseated in 1850: in 1854 the chancel walls were refaced and in 1879 and 1889 further restorations were effected at a cost of £1,150: the nave, roof and aisles were restored in 1901 at a cost of £3,600: a memorial tablet was erected in 1920 to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18: there are 600 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, so constituted in 1252, with the chapelries of Yapham and Meltonby and Ousethorpe annexed, joint net yearly value £358, including 27 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1921 by the Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith B.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge.

The Roman Catholic church, in London street, dedicated to SS. Mary and Joseph, and opened in 1863, was built from the designs of Messrs. Hadfield, of Sheffield, and consists of nave with eastern apse: there are five stained windows, one of which, was presented by the Duke and Duchess of Norfolk: an organ gallery, the gift of the late Mrs. Thompson, of Pocklington, was erected in 1907: a stained window was erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men connected with the church who fell in the Great War, 1914-18; the church affords sittings for 120 persons, and attached is a residence for the priest.

The Congregational chapel in Chapmangate, erected in 1807, has an endowment of £60 yearly, bestowed by John Jackson, d. 1874, and will seat 350 persons; there is also a Wesleyan Methodist chapel, in Chapmangate, and a Primitive Methodist chapel in Union street.
The Burial Ground, near the West Green, opened in 1857, contains 4a. 1r 1op. and has two small chapels, one for the Church of England and the other for Dissenters; it is under the control of the Urban District Council, acting as a burial authority.
The Police Court and Station, in George street, erected in 1899-1900 at a cost of about £3,500, are of red brick with stone dressings; the buildings comprise a court room, magistrates' room, a witnesses' waiting room, and a police station, with residence for the superintendent.

Victoria Hall, in Chapmangate, and Central Hall, in Peter's square, are let for public meetings and lectures, and will hold about 450 persons each.
An ornamental street lamp with granite pedestal was erected at a cost of about £150, in commemoration of the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria.
The local trade includes brewing, malting, rope and twine making; there are agricultural implement manufactories, and in the neighbourhood several corn mills, clothing' factory and pearl barley mills.
The market is held every Saturday. There are four fairs nominally held here annually—on the 7th of March, 6th of May, 5th of August and the 8th of November; on the 9th of November there is a statute fair for hiring servants, and the auction is held every Monday.

Most of the charities left by Henry Powell (1895), Mrs. Isabella Moor, Mrs. Ann Black-well (1732), Robert Chapman (1718), Dr. Henry Watkinson, Mr. John Moor, William Westoby, John Seymour and John Cole, are for the time being lost.

About 1 mile south-west of the town is the Pocklington canal, the property of the London and North Eastern Railway Company: the canal, made under provisions of an Act passed in 1814, is about 9 miles in length and extends to East Cottingwith, where it forms a communication with the river Derwent.

Capt. Harry Whitworth is lord of the manor and lay rector, and holds a court leet, baron and court: there are also a large number of small free holders.

Pocklington parish comprises the townships of Yapham-with-Meltonby and Ousethorpe. The township and Urban District of Pocklington contains 2,443 acres of land, including 75 acres taken over from Barmbv-on-the-Moor, and 7 of water ; rateable value, £12,800; the population in 1921 was 2,645, and of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911, 2,757.

OUSETHORPE is a township of Pocklington, 1½ north-by-east. There are traces here of a large rectangular moated enclosure. The rectorial tithe rent-charge, amounting to £52, and the agistment tithe rent-charge of £19, belong to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners. The vicarial tithe rent-charge of £4 is the property of Mrs. A. B. Lamb. The area is 331 acres; rateable value, £460; the population in 1921 was 18.
Letters received through Pocklington by foot post, 1 mile distant, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office

YAPHAM and MELTONBY are two hamlets and a township, about 1 mile apart, and constitute a chapelry in Pocklington parish; the former is 2 miles north-north-west, and the latter 2 north-by-west, from Pocklington. The chapel of St. Martin is a plain building, consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and a western turret containing 2 bells: it was repaired in 1777-8, and restored about 1904, at a cost of £400, and has 100 sittings. The great or rectorial tithe, amounting to £365, belongs to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and under an instrument of apportionment, dated 12 June,; 1844, a sum of .£204 18s. 9d. has been assigned to tins benefice of Pocklington, and the rest retained by the Commissioners towards the payment of a curate. The glebe land here amounts to 29a. 1r. 27 perches, and £10 a year, given by a former dean of York, also belongs to the benefice. Here is a Wesleyan chapel. The rents of the chapel lands allotted at the inclosure in 1733 are expended by an arrangement of the Chanty Commissioners, one fourth being applied to the repairs of the chapel, one fourth to the poor and one half to the school. W. D. Petch esq. and Mrs. F. Pearson are the principal landowners: 3s. 4d. yearly is paid out of the Kilnwick Percy estate to this township and 39 other parishes receive various sums annually, in all amounting to £10, called the Woods dole; 4s. yearly is also received out of a farm at Yapham, left by H. Barlow esq. The soil is good loam, gravel and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, peas and turnips. The township is well supplied with water from the Wold hills. The joint acreage of Yapham with Meltonby is 1,888; rateable value, £2,652; the population in 1921 was 222.
Sexton, John Johnson. Letters are delivered at Yapham from Pocklington k at Meltonby. Pocklington, 2½ miles distant, is the nearest telegraph & money order office
Church of England School (mixed), Yapham-cum Meltonby, erected in 1883, for 40 children; Miss M. L. Ottley, head mistress; Miss 0. Richardson, assistant mistress; William Askwith, correspondent

OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS &C.

Post, M.O., T. & T. E. D. Office, Railway street
George William Guppy, sub-postmaster

URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL

Meeting day, 1st friday each month 7 p.m. at Clerk’s offices, Railway Street

Chairman, Thomas Scaife J.P.
Vice-Chairman, George Todd

To Retire in 1925
Herbert Meynell
William Moor
George Todd

To Retire in 1926
Johnson Hickes
Joseph Jessie Moor
Thomas Scaife J.P.

To Retire in 1927
Herbert Alvin
John Thomas Hunter
William Turner Johnson

Officers
Clerk, Alfred Summerson, Railway Street
Treasurer, Tom S. Suddaby, Wesminster Bank Lt.
Medical Officer of Health, Alex. Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd, Faircote, West Green
Sanitary Inspector, Surveyor & Rate Collector, Joseph Butterworth, Market Place

COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR THE WILTON BEACON PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION

Herbert Edward, Arthur Field Whittell, Upper Helmsley hall, York
Morris Rev. Marmaduke Charles Frederick B.C.L. Ivy House, Newbegin, Beverley
Newbald Robert W. 56 Seacroft road, York
Proctor Christopher, Market Place, Pocklington
Scaife Thomas, Ebor House, Pocklington
Smith Frederick. Red house, Pocklington
Summerson Alfred, Wilberforce, house, Pocklington
Thirsk Thomas Spruce, White Mill, Pocklington
Wood Major Rt. Hon. Edward Frederick Lindley – M.P. Garrowby Hall, Bishop Wilton, York
The Chairman for the time being, of the Pocklington Urban District Councils, are ex-officio magistrates
Clerk to the Magistrates, Henry Sydney Powell, Waterloo Buildings, Pocklington 14
Petty Sessions are held at the Police Court, Great George Street, the first Saturday in every month at 10am , in addition to the above, special sessions will be held every day if there are any prisoners
in custody.
The following are included in the petty sessional division :- Allerthorpe, Barmby-.on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High and Low Catton, Fangfoss, Full Sutton, Garrowby, Great & Little Givendale, Grimthorpe, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent,
Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge East, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe.

POCKLINGTON RURAL DISTRICT COUNCIL.
The townships in the District are the same as in the Union, with the exception of Pocklington.
Council meets at the Guardians' Board room monthly, on mondays, at 2 p.m.
Chairman, Robert William Newbald J.P. 56 Seacroft road, York

Officials.
Clerk, Arthur J. Oliver, 17 Market street, Pocklington
Treasurer, Herbert Rymer, Barclays Bank Ltd
Medical Officer of Health, Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green, Pocklington
Sanitary Inspector, James M. Murdie M.S.LA. 10
George street, Pocklington
Highways Surveyor, Tom Ingle M.Inst.M. & C.E.
Holme road, Market Weighton

POCKLINGTON UNION.
Board day, monthly at the Board room, a* 1.30 p.m.
Pocklington union comprises the following places: — Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton-with-Belthorpe, Bolton, Bugthorpe, Burnby, Catton (High), Catton (Low), Cliffe (North), Cliffe (South), Cottingwith (East), Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Givendale (Great)-with Grimthorpe, Goodmanham, Harswell, Hayton Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby Underdale-with-Garrowby, Londesborough-with-Easthorpe, Market Weighton & Arras, Melbourne, Millington-with-Little Givendale, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousethorpe, Pocklington, Sancton-with-Houghton, Scrayingham, Seaton Ross, Shipton-Thorpe, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge (East), Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe-le-Street, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham-cum-Meltonby, Youlthorpe-Cum-Gowthorpe. The area of the union is 110,638 acres; rateable value, £131,499 ; the population in 1921 was 13,543.

Chairman of the Board of Guardians, Edmund Johnson, Full Sutton grange
Clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, Arthur J. Oliver, 17 Market street, Pocklington Treasurer, Herbert Rymer, Barclays Bank Limited
Relieving & Vaccination Officer & Prosecutor for the Union, Reginald M. Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pocklington
Medical Officers & Public Vaccinators : —Pocklington Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Alexander Ferrier Angus Fair-weather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote,. West Green, Pocklington; Stamford Bridge district, Edward W. Archer M.B., B.S., L.M.S.S.A.;, Market Weighton Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Richard Hamilton Ashwin M.D. Lond., M.R.C.S.Eng. Market Weighton; Sutton-on-Derwent district, William J. Carmichael M.B., CM. Aberd. Elvington, near York; Huggate district, J. Perrin Brown M.B., Ch.B.Leeds, Wetwang, York The Poor Law Institution, situated ,on the road leading to Burnby, is a structure of brick, erected in 1852, at a cost of £1,608, ,on a site purchased for £360, it was enlarged in 1896, at a cost of £6,237, & will hold 113 inmates; in 1878 a hospital was added, for 30 patients ; James Walker Curtis, master; Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith B.A. hon. chaplain; Alexander Ferrier Angus Fairweather M.D., C.M. medical officer; Mrs. Sophia Curtis, matron

POCKLINGTON REGISTRATION DISTRICT.
Superintendent Registrar, Henry Sydney Powell, Waterloo buildings, Pocklington; deputy, Edward Holmes, Waterloo buildings
Registrars of Births & Deaths, Pocklington sub-district., Reginald M. Stubbs, Aston villa. Union street, Pocklington ; deputy, Mrs. L. M. Stubbs, Aston villa, Union street, Pocklington; East Stamford Bridge sub-district, George William Etherington, Wilberfoss, York; Market Weighton sub-district, Miss Annie Roantree, High street. Market Weighton
Registrar of Marriages, Thomas Scaife J.P. Ebor house, Chapmangate, Pocklington

PUBLIC ESTABLISHMENTS.
Burial Ground, West Green, Alfred Summerson, clerk. Railway street
Central Hall, Peter's square, Central Hall Cinema Co. Ltd. proprietors
County Court; office, The Balk, Pocklington; office hours, on Wednesday & thursday only, from 10.30 a.m. to 4 p.m. ; His Honor John William McCarthy, judge; Frank Perkins, registrar & high bailiff. Court held every alternate month in the Magistrates' room, Great George street, & its jurisdiction extends to Allerthorpe, Barmby-on-the-Moor, Bielby, Bishop Wilton, Bolton, Buckthorpe, Burnby, High & Low Catton, North & South Cliffe, East Cottingwith, Everingham, Fangfoss, Fridaythorpe, Full Sutton, Great Givendale, Little Givendale, Goodmanham, Hanging Grimston, Harswell, Hayton, Huggate, Kilnwick Percy, Kirby-Underdale, Londesborough, Market Weighton, Melbourne, Millington, Newton-upon-Derwent, Nunburnholme, Ousthorpe, Pocklington, Sancton, Scrayingham, Seaton-Ross, Shipton, Skirpenbeck, Stamford Bridge, Storwood, Sutton-upon-Derwent, Thixendale, Thornton, Thorpe, Waplington, Warter, Wilberfoss, Yapham with Meltonby & Youlthorpe-cum-Gowthorpe
For Bankruptcy purposes this court is included in that of York; Donald Sween Mackay, Red house, Duncombe place, York, official receiver
Certified Bailiffs appointed under the "Law of Distress Amendment Act," Richard Massey English, Market street; Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate; John Joseph Kempley & Samuel Sharp, Market Weighton
County Police Office, Great George street (T N 13); John Sweeney, superintendent, 1 sergeant & 3 constables ; also 1 inspector & 5 constables at Market Weighton; 1 inspector, 1 sergeant & 8 constables at Escrick & 9 constables stationed in the various villages around
Customs & Excise Office, Oak house, Market place, Edgar W. Gibson, officer
Fire Brigade, Railway street, Joseph Butterworth, capt. & sec
Victoria Hall, Chapmangate

TERRITORIAL FORCE.
5th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Green Howards), Drill hall, Barmby road
Machine Gun Platoon (Headquarter Wing), Capt A. V. Hessel, commanding officer

PUBLIC OFFICERS.
Assessors & Collectors of Income Tax, William Francis Hill, New pavement & Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate
Assistant Overseer & Collector of Poor's Rates, Joseph Butterworth, Market place
Assistant Overseer for Yapham-with-Meltonby, William Askwith, Meltonby
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Alexander Ferrier A. Fairweather M.D., C.M.Aberd. Faircote, West Green
Deputy Steward of the Manor of Millington with Little Givendale, Henry Sydney Powell, Waterloo buildings
National Insurance Act, Unemployment Section, Sydney Herbert Everingham, local agent, Railway street
Stamp Distributor, George William Guppy, Railway st
Deputy Steward of the Manors of Pocklington, Barmby on-the-Moor, Millington, Fridaythorpe & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Henry S. Powell, Waterloo buildings
Veterinary Inspector for Wilton Beacon, Holme Beacon & Ouse-on-Derwent Divisions, R. J. Hicks, Market Weighton

PLACES OF WORSHIP

All Saints’ Church. Rev. Ian McNaughton Smith BA.
vicar :Rev. Ernest L. Dawe M.A. curate
SS. Mary & Joseph Roman Catholic, London street, Rev. Gerald Quirk, priest
Congregational
Primitive Methodist, Rev. William Leech,superintendent
Wesleyan Methodist, Rev. James E. Crawshaw, superintendent & Rev. William E. Thomas & Rev. Thomas J Macartney, supernumeraries

SCHOOLS.
The Endowed Grammar School, on West Green, was originally connected with a guild in the parish church, called "the Society of Brethren of the Name of Jesus, the Blessed Virgin & St. Nicholas of Pocklington," the seal of which, together with an ancient silver cocking bell, belonging to the school, is still preserved : the guild was founded by John Dolman LL.D. archdeacon of Suffolk (one of a family who were for centuries lords of the manor of Pocklington), in the 6th year of Henry VIII. (24th May, 1514); & when subsequently, in the reign of that monarch, all such guilds were suppressed, the property originally left to the guild was preserved by the exertions of the founder's family for the benefit of the school: the Master & Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge, under the arrangement then made, appointed the master of the school, who, in turn with the church wardens, appointed the usher; & the master & usher together formed a corporation, called the " Corporation of Master & Usher of the Free Grammar School of Pocklington." Attached to or connected with the school are the following scholarships & exhibitions:—1, Four Dowman exhibitions each of £40 yearly & tenable for 4 years at St. John's College, Cambridge; 2, the Ackroyd exhibition of £50 for 3 years at either Oxford or Cambridge, may be competed for by boys from this school; 3, the Ann Watson exhibitions of £25 each yearly & tenable for 4 years at any university, are similarly open; 4, three County Council scholarships of £60 yearly each, tenable for 2 years, by natives of or residents in the East Riding, at the Leeds University, Leeds, Firth College, Sheffield, Owens College, Manchester, the Royal College of Science, South Kensington, or any other college or university approved by the County Council; 5, exhibitions established by the governors at any place of higher education, or of scientific or professional training The following: are tenable only at the school:—1, Ten local exhibitions for day boys, each of the yearly value of£1o ; 2, entrance scholarships for boarders, of £20 to £50 each yearly, awarded by examination; 3, a limited number of entrance exhibitions of £10 to £15.
The revenues of the school arose mainly from land situated in various parts of the East Riding, & amounted to about £800 a year; the land has since been sold & the proceeds invested. The Rev. T. Shields B.D. who became head master in 1807, succeeded in- considerably augmenting the income of the school, & in 1818 commenced the rebuilding of the school & master's house, eventually completed in 1848 by the Rev. F. J. Gruggen M.A.: in 1875 the Endowed Schools Commissioners completely re-organized the management of the schools & transferred the patronage from St. John’s College to a gererning body of 12 members. Alderman J. Oliver, 17 Market street, clerk to the
governors. During 1890-91 a gymnasium, chemical laboratory, infirmary & other buildings were erected, & in 1898 the school was further enlarged by the addition of a new wing, at a cost of about £6,000; in 1921 a swimming bath was added & in 1923 Dolman house was bought as an additional boarding house; there are now (1925) three boarding houses,-& about 180 boys ; head master, Percy Cooper Sands M.A. late fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge', and master, Cyril Stanley Kipping M.A.Camb. (science) ; assistants, Thomas W. Watson M.A.Camb. (mathematics) ; R. Stanley Osborne Lee M.A.Camb. (classics & geography); M. Verdon (Franch); Thomas W. Pay M.A.Leeds (history & English); Harold A. Hesketh B.A.Cambs. (geography «t junior subjects); Frank H. Potter (drawing & manual); John W. Metcalfe (music) & Mason Clark (gymnastics). T N 25

Public Elementary Schools.
School Attendance Officer, George H. Mason,Cottingham
County Council, Mile end, opened in February, 1908, an additional class room added in 1910, built at a cost of about ,£3,000, for 350 scholars, including infants; Herbert H. Craven, master; Frank Platt, assistant; Miss Hilda Moore, infants' mistress Church of England, New street (mixed & infants), erected, with house for the master, in 1854, at a cost of upwards of £1,444, including the value of the site, presented by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners & the late Admiral the Hon. Arthur Duncombe: the school will hold 152 boys & girls & 80 infants; Harry Glossop, master; Miss Winifred Newell, infants' mist Roman Catholic, London street (mixed), erected in 1877, for 65 children; Mrs. Winifred Reader,mistress

NEWSPAPER.
Howdenshire Chronicle & Pocklington Weekly News, Union street, Dobson & Co. publishers; published sat

Railway Station, West Green,- Arthur M. Hasslewood, master

CARRIERS to:
Barmby-on-the-Moor—Septimus Allison, from ‘Black Bull,' sat. & alternate mon
Bishop Wilton—William Brigham, from ‘Three Horse Shoes,’ sat. & Walter Fugill, from ‘The Feathers.'sat
Holme-on-Spalding Moor—-John Robinson, from the ‘Black Bull,' on sat
Millington—John R. Oxtoby, from ‘Black Swan,' daily;
William Thomas, ' Three Horse Shoes,' sat
Newbald—W. Jefferson, from ' Buck,' sat
Nunburnholme—Thomas Frear, from ‘ Oddfellows' Arms,' sat
Seaton Ross—R. Robinson, from Buck hotel, sat
Warter—John Slater, from ‘Black Bull,' tues. fri. & sat
York—John Robert Bell, from his house in 31 Union it. thurs. & sat

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.
Allison Alfred, Algarth lodge
Allison Mrs. Elizh. 6 Prospect place
Barlow Walter, Avenue ho. Percy rd
Barnes George, Field view, Percy rd
Baxter Mrs. Helen, Rudstone house, Barmby road
Beal John James, Ivydene, Percy rd
Beal Miss A. Beech house, Percy rd
Beedham George, 30 Market street
Binnington Mrs. Myrtle grove, Chapmangate
Boyden John Augustus Charles, St. Norberts. Percy road
Brigham Robert, Waynflete house
Brook Mrs. Ellen, Hill crest, Yapham road
Butterworth Joseph, Rosedene, The Mile
Carlton James, 7 York view
Cattle Ronald M. Panel ho. Percy rd
Cattle William W. 3 York view
Coulson Fred, The Laurels, Mile rd
Craven Herbert H. 2 Prospect place
Crawshaw Rev. James E.(Wesleyan), 37 Chapmangate
Cundall Thos. Bowser, 40 Market pl
Curtis Miss Annie, Elmhurst, Chapmangate
Dales William, Wells ho. Burnby la
Dawe Rev. Ernest L., M.A. (curate), Barmby road
Dawson James, Stanleigh, Union st
Day Mrs. John, New street
Dobson Clarence, 14 Burnby lane
Duggleby Thomas, 86 Chapmangate
English Harry T. The Mile house
English Thomas, Lyndhurst. TN 6
Everingham Mrs. John Thomas, Stamford villa, Barmby road
Everingham Wycliffe G. Mile road, T N Pocklington 24
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.D., CM. Faircote, West Green. TN 7
Forth Charles, 42 New street
Fowler Geo.Hy. The Briars,Burnby la
Fowler Mark, Derwent ho.Chapmangate
Fox Reginald, Peters square
Gautry Frank, The Balk, Brunswick place
Gilson Percy, 10 York view
Gilson Reginald Thomas, Canton villa, Garths End
Gilyead James Wm. 44 New street
Glossop Harry, Karaburun, Mile rd
Glossop William, Mile road
Goodricke Chas. Coote, 12 Burnby la
Grant T. Cliffe, Powisland, Union st
Grundun Mrs. Mary, 6 York view
Harrison Mansfield, Brunswick house, Brunswick place
Harvey Thomas William, Garth ho. Garths End
Heninghem Thomas Geo,The Gables
Heninghem George Hemingsley, The Gables
Hesketh Harold A., B.A. (assist, master), Grammar school, West green
Holdsworth John, Fernlea, Percy rd
Hotham Harry M. Garth's end
Jebson Miss Alice, 53 Chapmangate
Jebson William Henry, Wilton house
Keenleyside Mrs. Alice A
Kempley Misses, Rawcliffe, The Grove
Kipping Cyril Stanley M.A- (assist master Grammer school,West Grn
Knowles Oliver, 13 Union street
Laister James Wm. The Woodlands
Lee Miss H. Carlton House, Percy rd
Lee R. Stanley Osborne M.A. (assistant master Grammer school), Wilberforce Lodge
Leech Rev. William (Prim. Meth.), Bourne house, Union street
MacCartney Rev. Thomas James (Wes. Meth.), Ailsa, Percy road
Marginson, John, 21 The Grove
Marshall Frederick, William, St. John’s lodge, TN4
Matthews James Henry, 29 George St.
Oliver Arth. Jn. Thurnby Vil. Garths End
Pay Thomas W., M.A. (assistant master), Grammer school, West Green
Pearson Fredk., Beechwood, The Grove
Petch Wm. D., Sunnyside, Railway st.
Potter Frank H., (assistant master) Grammer schhol, West Green
Powell Henry Sydney, The Bungalow, Burnby Lane
Proctor Christopher J.P., Market pl.
Proctor Wm. Hy., Pexton Ho. Percy rd.
Quirk Rev. Gerald (Catholic), London street
Richardson Daniel, 9 York view
Robinson John, 4 York view
Robinson John, Pembroke house, Chapmangate
Rvmer Herbert, Bank ho. Market pl
Sands Percy C, M.A. (head master), Grammar school, West Green. TN 25
Sargent Jn. Thos. Grove ho.The Grove
Scaife Francis, Neswick villa
Scaife Mrs. 4 Prospect place
Scaife Thomas J.P. Ebor house, Chapmangate
Scott Miss Mary, 31 George street
Sherburne Robert, 21 Market street
Silburn Mrs. Henry, Chapmangate
Skinner Atkinson, Wold View, Yapham road
Smith Rev. Ian McNaughton B.A. (vicar), The Vicarage, The Grove
Smith Daniel, Ashfield, Canal lane
Smith Fredk. J.P. Red ho.Yapham rd
Smith Miss M. J. Flaxton house
Smith Mrs. Mary, 8 York view
Smith Mrs. Mary, Yapham mill, Yapham road
Smith Robert, 5 York view
Smithson Thomas Herbert, Eden pl. George street.
Spriggs Henry, 38 New street
Stather Cyril, Holmlea, Yapham rd
Steel Fredk Tyne vil. Garths end
Steels Mrs. E. E. Globe ho.Market pl
Stewart Major Percy M , M.A. Burnby hall, Burnby rd, TN16
Stewart John, Bloomsbury house, The Balk
Stewart Miss, West Green
Stubbs John, 36 New street
Suddaby Tom S.31 Market pl. TN2
Summer son Alfred J.P. Wilberforce house, West Green
Summerson Miss, Hormer house, Percy road
Thirsk Ernest, 1 York view
Thirsk Thomas Spruce J.P. The Groves, West Green
Thomas Rev. William E. (Wesleyan), 39 Chapmangate
Thornham Evelyn L. 15 Union street
Tinson Misses, 40 New street
Todd George, Sherbutt house, Chapmangate
Todd Mrs. 55 Chapmangate
Verdon M. N. (french master), Grammar school. West Green
Watson Thomas W., M.A. (assist.master), Grammar school
Wilson Robert, 30 Union street
Wood Misses Hilda & Eva, Ingledene
Wordsworth Joseph, 2 York view
Young Mrs. Louisa, Chapmangate

COMMERCIAL.
Early closing day, Wednesday 1 p.m.
for all businesses & professions, except hair dressers, whose day is Thurs.
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over.
Allison Joseph & Sons Ltd.builders,22 Regent st. TN 34
Atkinson Hannah (Mrs.), apartments, 5 Union street
Bairstow Fred, draper, 3 George street BarclaysBank Ltd. (branch) (Herbt. Rymer, manager); open daily 10 to 3; thurs. 10 to 12, 42 Market place; head office. 54 Lombard street, London E C
Barker Frank, Royal Oak inn, Great George street
Barker George Henry, boot maker, 63 Chapmangate
Barlow Walter, chemist & druggist; photographic materials stocked, 29 & 54 Market place. T N 5
Bedford Anthony, pig dealer &c. Percy house, London st
Bell John Robert, carrier, 31 Union street
Blackburn Arthur, ironmonger, 10 Market place
Braithwaite William, boot maker, Bloomsbury
Brewer Richard, butcher, 34 Union street
Brocklebank Frank, farmer, Northfield, Meltonby
Brook Norman L. photographer, New pavement
Broughton Frederick Charles, butcher, 10 Market street
Burial Ground (Alfred Summerson, clerk), West Green
Butterworth Joseph, sanitary inspector, surveyor & rate collector to the Urban District Council, assistant overseer k captain 4; sec. of the Fire Brigade, Market pl
Buttle Eric; painter, 31 Market street
Buttle Herbert U. teaches piano, organ & singing; numerous exam, successes, 13 Market place. TNT 3
Buttle Herbert William, boot repairer, 36 Union street
Cains Francis George, assistant bailiff of County court, Prospect house, Canal lane
Cains Henry Parkin, miller (oil & water), Devonshire mill, Canal lane
Campbell George, farmer, The Grange, Beilbv lane
Central Hall Cinema (Central Hall Cinema Co. ltd. proprietors), Peter's square
Clark Lily (Miss), milliner, 14 Market street
Cook John, builder, 25 Great George street
Cook William Newlove, baker, 2 Regent street
Coulson Arthur, grocer, 8 Chapmangate
Countv Court (Frank Perkins, registrar & high bailiff); office, The Balk
County Police Office (John Sweeney, supt.),Gt.George st
Cundall Robert & Co. manufacturing & agricultural chemists; sheep dip & cattle medicines, seed merchants & wine & spirit merchants, 5 Market street
Cundall Edward, farmer, 5 Market street
Copeman Arthur, butcher, 27 Union street
Customs & Excise Office (Edgar W. Gibson, officer), Oak house, Market place
Dale William James, pork butcher, 27 Market street
Dawson Guy, motor engineer, see Everingham & Dawson
Dobson & Co. printers & publishers of the Howdenshire Chronicle & Pocklington Weekly News, Union st. TN 32
Inman Elizabeth (Mrs.), dress maker, 22 Union street
Easterby Robert, farmer, Clayfield farm
Easton James blacksmith, Church lane
Easton John, saddler & harness maker, Market place
Eastwood John B. tailor, 2 Market street
Eastwood Walter, farmer
Endowed Grammar School (Percy C. Sands M.A. head master; Cyril Stanley Kipping M.A. 2nd master; for assistant masters, see p. 600), West Green. TN25
English R. M, & Son, auctioneers & valuers, corn, seed & manure merchants, Market street (TN 6); & at Market Weighton; attend markets at Leeds; York ; Wakefield; Driffield & Hull
English Thomas, farmer, Mile farm; & at Meltonby
Everingham Brothers, motor car & char-a-banc proprietors ; garage, repairs, 16 Railway street. TN 26
Everingham J. T. & Sons, tailors, 12 Railway street Everingham & Dawson, motor engineers & electricians ; repairs; garage. TN 24
Fairweather Alexander Ferrier Angus M.D., C.M.Aberd. physician, medical officer & public vaccinator Nos. 1 & 2 districts, Pocklington union, & medical officer of health to the Urban & Rural District Councils & medical officer to the workhouse & Post Office & certifying factory surgeon,Faircote,West Green. TN 7
Fairweather Tom, horse breaker, 40 Union street
Fielder John Elliott, joiner, 2 London street
Finch Joseph Noble, Oddfellows' Arms P.H.Union street
Fire Brigade (Joseph Butterworth, captain & sec), Railway street
Flint Jas. chimney sweeper, Stather's yd. Chapmangate
Forth W. & C. printers, bookbinders, booksellers, stationers, music sellers, news agents, & athletic & fancy goods depot, advertising agents & billposters, Market place; printing works, Dean's lane
Foster Charles, shopkeeper & fruiterer, 9 New pavement
Foster Emma (Mrs.), Black Swan P.H. 26 Market place
Foster John J. boot makers & dealers, 35 Market place
Fowler George Henry, draper, 46 Market place
Fox Reuben, cycle engineer, Market place. TN 11
Freke Bernard, dentist, 15 Regent street
Gautry Frank, draper, 37 Market place
Gibson Edgar W. customs & excise officer, Oak house. Market place
Gilson William & Son, watch makers, 33 Market place
Grainger William, coal dealer, 16 Regent street
Grant Tom Cliffe, builders' merchant & lime & salt merchant, Union street
Gray William & Sons (sole proprietor, H. C. Ward), tailors, 45 Market place
Gray Richard, saddler, Peter's square
Guppy George William, stamp distributor & postmaster, Railway street
Hall Ralph, gardener to Major P. M. Stewart M.A. Burnby Hall bungalow
Hanley Walter, confectioner, 7 New street
Harrison Mary (Mrs.), common lodging house, Union st
Harvey Frederick J. hair dresser, 6 Union street
Hasslewood Arthur M. station master & goods agent-Railway station,
Hatfield John Henry, hair dresser, 38 Market place
Heninghem George Hemingsley, solicitor, Railway street
Heningham George, solicitor, Railway street
Hill William Francis; garage proprietor, Great George street & assessor of income tax, New pavement. TN 27
Hind Frederick Hugh Griffiths, painter, Chapmangate
Holder Brothers Ltd. music stores, 13 Market place
Hopwood Edward, farmer, Toft house, Beilby lane
Horsley Simeon, farmer, Carr lane
Hotham Charles & Sons, butchers, 11 New pavement. TN28
Hotham Harry, boot repairer, 26 Market street
Howdenshire Chronicle & Pocklington Weekly News (Dobson & Co. publishers; published sat.), Union street. TN 32
Howe George W. A. coal agent. Railway station
Jebson William Henry, veterinary surgeon, Wilton house (Tel. Pocklington 9); & at Bishop Wilton Johnson Fred & Son, rope & twine & net makers.New st
Johnson James, florist, 7 Great George street
Johnson Romilly farmer, Woodhouse farm, The Mile
Johnson Wm. Turner, frmr. & shopkpr. Gt. George st
Jowett Hanson, ironmonger, Market street
Kemp's Cafe, Railway street
Kendall- Henry, Cross Keys P.H. Market street
Kneeshaw Harry, farmer, Canal head
Laister Jsph. & Son,rope & twine mas.30 & 32 Market pl
Lamb Thomas J. (Mrs.), shopkeeper, 20 Railway street
Laughton W. & L. farmers, Kimberley house, Union st
Layfield Joseph William, fruiterer, 14 Market place
Lee Fred (Mrs.), tobacconist, 59 Market place
Leonard Robert, farmer. The Balk
Lister John & Son, cab proprs. 15 & 17 Great George st
Lundy & Son, watch makers, 18 Railway street
Majestic Cinema Co. Chapman gate
Manners Brothers, cabinet makers, Great George street
Manners Christr. saddler & harness ma.4 New pavement
Marshall Frederick William L.R.C.P. & S.Edin., L.R.F.P.S. & L.M.Glas. physician, St. John's lodge, Barmby road. TN 4
Mason George H. school attendance officer (Pocklington district), Richmond terrace
Matthews James Henry, agricultural engineer & agricultural implement maker, George street Meek John, hair dresser, 19 Market street
Meynell Herbert, grocer, 1 Market place. T N 34
Middlebrough John & Sons, maltsters, Chapmangate
Midland Bank Ltd. (open daily 10 to 3; thurs. 10 to12), Market place-
Millward George Edward, boot maker, 16 Market street
Moody Edward, joiner, London street
Moor & Brook, plumbers, 16 New pavement
Moor Arthur, Buck hotel, 24 Market place T N 38
Moor Joseph J. millers' traveller, 33 Great George street
Moor Wilfred, builder, London street
Moore William, farmer, Union street
Morrall Harry P. New Red Lion P.H. New pavement
Morrill Thomas, coal merchant, 7 Richmond terrace
Munro Henry F. confectioner, 18 & 20 Chapmangate
Murdie James M., M.I.S.A. sanitary inspector to the Rural District Council, 10 George street Myers Albert, cowkeeper, Great George street
Nelson Arthur G. shoe maker & dir. 39 &41 Market pl
Nicholas Charles L. leather speciality manufacturer, agent & merchant, Regent house
Nicholson George, farmer, Northfield Farm house
North Eastern Railway Coal Depot (G. W. A. Howe,agent), Railway station
North Eastern'Railway Goods Depot (Arthur M. Hassle-wood, agent), Railway station, West Green
Oliver Arthur J. clerk to the Rural District Council & clerk to the Guardians & Assessment Committee, 17 Market street
Ottley F. A. (Miss) A.L.C.M. teacher of Chapmangate
Pearson William, insurance agent, 32 George street
Pocklington Choral Society (Herbert U. Buttle, conductor), 13 Market place
Pocklington Conservative Club (George W. Haw, sec), Railway street
Pocklington Coronation Band (Herbert U. Buttle, conductor), 13 Market place
Pocklington Cycle Club (W. Coupland, sec), Rosewalden, Barmby road
Pocklington & District industrial Co-operative Society Limited (George William Haw, manager), grocers,
Pocklington Floral & Horticultural Society (Arthur Todd, sec)
Pocklington Horse and Foal Show (H.S. Powell, hon. sec.), Waterloo buildings
Pocklington Literary Society (Edgar W. Gibson, Oak house, Market place, hon.sec.)
Pocklington New Gas Co. Limited (H.S. Powell, sec.); office, Waterloo buildings; works, West Green
Pocklington Water Works Co. Limited (Thomas Scaife, Ebor house, Chapmangate, sec.), Chapel hill
Powell Henry S. farmer
Powell Henry Sydney, solicitor, commissioner tor oaths & sec. to the New Gas Co- Limited, superintendent registrar, clerk to Market Weighton Drainage Trustees, deputy steward for the manor of Fridaythorpe & Millington, clerk to the magistrates of the Wilton Beacon & Holme. Beacon divisions & steward of the manors of Pocklington; of Barmby-upon-the-Moor & Allerthorpe-with-Waplington, Waterloo bldgs. TN14
Procter Christopher, grocer, 18 Market place
Procter William Henry, draper 56, & hosier 61 Market pl.
Read Thomas, greengrocer, 49 Market street
Richardson Danl. agrcltrl.implement ma.Albion foundry
Richardson John, monumental mason, New street
Robson John, coach builder. Union street
Robson Richard, butcher, Church lane
Rowley Charles Ltd. clothing mfrs. London st. TN8
Rowley Charles, tailor, 11 & 13 Market street
Rowley Frederick, insurance agent, 7 Victoria terrace
Rymer Herbt. manager Barclays Bank Ltd.43 Market pl
Scaife F. & K. stationers, 12 Market place
Scaife Harold, cycle agent, 6 Market place
Scaife Thomas, registrar of marriages, assessor of income tax & actuary of the Yorkshire Penny Bank Ltd. auctioneer & valuer, Ebor house, Chapmangate
Scaife's China & Earthenware Stores, Peter's square 7
Scott & Carlton, fishmongers; best quality, fresh & dried, 47 Market place. T N 18
Sellman William, photographer, 23 Chapmangate
Shepley Mary Kate (Mrs.), fancy draper, 17 Market it
Shillaker Herbert, grocer, 2 Market place
Siddall Thomas E. painter, 5 St. John's terrace
Siilburn Lionel, cattle dealer, 51 Chapmangate
Skinner Edwin confectioner, 19 Market place
Smith Jane E. & Annie E. (Misses), confectioners, Great George street
Smith Ernest, joiner, Chapmangate
Sowerby James, monumental mason, Regent street
Spivey Elizabeth (Mrs.), pork butcher, 38 Market st
Stabler George, shoeing smith & agricultural implement repairer, New street
Stather Charles, draper, 25 Market place
Staveley William, grocer, 57 Market place
Stead & Simpson Ltd. boot makers, 23 Market place.
Steel Joseph & Son, builders, 39 & 41 George street,
Steels Charles Richard, house furnisher, 10 Regent st
Steels Francis H. cabinet maker, 9 London street
Stephenson Ellen W. (Miss), baby linen warehouse, 20 Market street
Stephenson William Nelson, grocer, 6 Market streeet
Stubbs John T. & Sons, -wheelwrights, 10 New street
Stubbs L. M. (Mrs.), deputy registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district, Aston villa, Union street Stubbs Reginald M. registrar of births & deaths for Pocklington sub-district & relieving & vaccination officer for the union & collector for .the guardians, Aston villa, Union street
Suddaby Tom S. manager Westminster Bank Ltd. & insurance agent, 31 Market place
Summerson Alfred J. P. solicitor & commissioner ftp oaths, & clerk to the Urban District Council & to the burial authority, & agent for the Norwich Union Fire Insurance Society & Standard Life Assurance Co. Railway street
Summerson & Heninghem, solicitors, Railway street
Sweeney John, police superintendent, & inspector under the Diseases of Animals Acts for Wilton Beacon, division, Great George street. T N 13
Tate J. W. & Son, agricultural engineers, Barmby road
Territorial Force, 5th Battalion, Alexandra, Princess of Wales's Own (Green Howards) (machine gun platoon, head quarter wing) (Capt. A. V. Hessel, commanding officer), Drill hall, Barmby road
Thirsk & Sons, millers (suction gas, steam & water), corn, cake & seed merchants & farmers, Flour mills, West Green (T N 17); & at Nafferton; Beverley, York; Driffield (T N 12) & Bridlington. See Advt. Index
Thomas Henry, cattle dealer, Eden place, Gt. George st
Thompson Geo. W. fishmonger, 2a Railway st. TN10
Tinson Fredk. Richardson, shopkeeper, 4a Gt. George
Tinson William & Sons, builders, 28 Market street
Todd George & Sons, grocers, 18 new pavement
Todd Richard C. toy dealer, Great George street
Trust Houses Ltd. The Feathers P.H. Market place
Turner Charles, tailor, 9 Market place
Turner Jane E. (Mrs.), confectioner, 11 Market place
Vickerman George H. Wellington Oak inn, Canal head
Victoria Hall, Chapmangate
Waite John Henry & Son, joiners, 5 & 7 Railway street
Walsh Frances (Miss), farmer, Canal Head
Walsh John, cowkeeper, Manor House, Chapmangate
Walsh John Stephen, Black Bull, P.H. Market place
Warcup Elizabeth (Mrs.) greengrocer, 3 Regent Street
Watson David R. Three Horse Shoes P.H. Market Street
Westminster Bank Ltd., (Tom S. Suddaby, manager) (open daily 10 to 3; Thursdays 10 to 12), 31 Market place. TN 2
Wilson George Robert, butcher, Kirkland street
Wilson John T. Butcher, 7 New Pavement
Wilson Joseph, joiner, 35 Chapmangate
Wilson William, carter, 31 Kirkland street
Wood Joseph, Old Red Lion P.H. Regent Street
Wood Roland H. Cycle dealer, 5 Regent street
Wooltorton Samuel, lock keeper, Canal head
Wraggett William, butcher, 23 Market street
Wright Watson, joiner, Chapmangate
York & District Clubs Brewery Ltd. Brewers, Chapmangate, T N Pocklington 22
Yorkshire Pearl Barley Mills Ltd. Sausage meal manufacturers, West Green. T N 12; T A “Barley Pocklington”
Yorkshire Penny Bank Limited (branch) (Thomas Scaife actuary); open sat. 3-45 to 4.45 p.m. New Street

OUSETHORPE

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

* Hewison George Leargard, farmer, Mill Farm
Hewison John, farmer, Clay Farm
* Rook Robt., farmer, Ousethorpe farm

YAPHAM

Commercial
Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over

Barker William, farmer
* Brigham Gerald, farmer, Yapham Hall
* English Richard L. Farmer & landowner, Smylett Hall
Gray Hubert, farmer, Rowland Hill#
Hatfield Mark, farmer
Haywood Wm. joiner, Yapham mill
Johnson John, jobbing gardner
Legard Joseph, farmer
Ogle Chas. Hy. farmer, Yapham grange
Pearson Henry, farmer
Pratt George E. Farm bailiff to Richard E. English esq
Toder Rdwd. Hole, farmer, Manor ho

MELTONBY

Marked thus * farm 150 acres or over
Askwith Wm. Assistant overseer for Yapham-with-Meltonby
Edmonds Thomas, farmer
English Thos. Farmer, Meltonby ho
* Houslay John, farmer, The Grange
Howden Herbert, farmer
Keeble Benjamin, cowkeeper
Pearson Jn. Edwd. Frmr, Manor farm
Pearson Robert, farmer
Pearson Thomas, farmer, Meltonby Hall farm